Number one question for Titans fans tonight: who is the next offensive coordinator?
Mike Vrabel had to know he could lose Matt LaFleur. He probably has his short list ready and his phone calls already being made.
Here are some names that make sense to me.
1) Mark Helfrich – Bears OC, but did not call plays making him available to move because it would be a promotion. He, of course, was Mariota’s head coach at Oregon. Great experience working under Matt Nagy who had a great year in Chicago. Also worked with a young mobile quarterback in Chicago in Mitchell Trubisky.
2) Sean Ryan – He worked with Vrabel in Houston and was the Texans quarterbacks coach the last 2 years working with another mobile young quarterback in Deshaun Watson. I think with Vrabel and Robinson connections are important.
3) Jim Bob Cooter – The pride of Lincoln County! He was fired after this season after a 4 year run as the Lions offensive coordinator. He’s only 34 years old and still thought of as one of the bright young offensive coaches in the game. Not succeeding with Matt Patricia should not be a punishment.
4) Dirk Koetter – Fired as Bucs head coach, but let’s face it, they put up a ton of points down there.
5) Kliff Kingsbury – Everyone else wants to talk to him! People want to talk to him because his teams were offensively creative and put up a ton of yards. He’s different. Different is popular right now.
6) Darrell Bevell – I actually think he’s a good match. He was the Seahawks OC when they won the Super Bowl running the ball, getting chunk plays on play action and playing defense. Also worked with a mobile QB in Russell Wilson.