‘Nashville Flipped’ Star Troy Shafer dies of drug overdose

Opioid-Crisis
Troy Dean Schafer web_1559696255076.jpg.jpg

The star of a popular home improvement show based in Nashville died of an apparent drug overdose earlier this year. 

According to the Erie County Coroner’s office, “Nashville Flipped” star Troy Dean Schafer’s death on April 28 was “ruled accidental due to combined drug toxicity.”

Schafer was 38 years old when he died.

He started hosting the DIY Network series “Nashville Flipped” at the beginning of 2016. The show ran for two seasons. 

The show followed Schafer and his wife, Becky, as they and a team of construction managers renovated historic homes in the Nashville area. 

According to Troy’s brother, Tim, he died in his sleep and had no medical conditions. His death came as a surprise to the family. He was laid to rest in a private ceremony.

Schafer moved to Nashville from his hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania, after graduating from Penn State University with dreams of becoming a country music star. Though, it was his talent and skills in building and restoring homes that led him to a career in flipping houses. 

If you know someone struggling with drug addiction, please contact the SAMHSA substance abuse helpline at 1-800-662-HELP.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Community Calendar