Dozens of cars are being stolen across Middle Tennessee every day. That’s why News 2 and local law enforcement agencies are teaming up for “Operation Lock It & Pocket.”
The Public Service Announcements started Thursday on WKRN and will appear the rest of this year.
The partnership is designed to fight back against the car theft crime wave in Nashville by urging people to simply lock their vehicles and take their keys with them.
A large number of stolen cars and trucks are taken because people are leaving their keys inside the vehicle or, worse, leaving their car running.
According to police, if more drivers would remember to “Lock It & Pocket” when they park, it would go a long way to reduce car thefts and other types of crime around the city.
News 2 would like to thank the following for their help with Operation Lock It & Pocket:
- Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
- Belle Meade Police Department
- Brentwood Police Department
- Cheatham County Sheriff’s Office
- Gallatin Police Department
- Hendersonville Police Department
- La Vergne Police Department
- Lebanon Police Department
- Mt. Juliet Police Department
- Nolensville Police Department
- Smyrna Police Department
- Tennessee Highway Patrol
- Williamson County Sheriff’s Department
- Wilson County Sheriff’s Department
News 2’s special reports on the Car Theft Crime Wave: