Man shares account of calling 911 for mother and child, trapped in storm drain

CLARSKVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - The man who called for first responders after a mother and child fell into a storm drain, shared with News 2 the scary moments leading up the arrival of rescue officials. 

Clarksville police say the mother and child fell about 20 feet Thursday night at Rossview High School 

Jonathan Miller says he and his mother happened to hear the baby's crying while they walked to his daughter's choir concert.
   He called 9-1-1.

He added that he's grateful he was in the right place at the right time. 

"There's no telling because people were on a mission to get was cold, and people just weren't paying attention. It was by sheer luck that we were walking by and getting ready to go inside at the same time. "

Police say the baby wasn't seriously hurt, but the mother had to be flown to a Nashville hospital. 

We've still not received an update on the mother's condition. 

Previous Story 

A woman and her baby were rescued from a storm drain Thursday by Clarksville first responders. 

It happened at Rossview High School around 6:30 p.m. 

Clarksville police said the woman was walking through the parking lot carrying her baby when she stepped on a storm grate and it gave way. A passerby heard a baby crying and dialed 911. 

"I have a mom with a toddler who fell into a sewer grate at Rossview High School," the caller told dispatchers. "I got my flashlight out. It's fairly deep" 

"Ok, it's very deep?" The dispatcher asked. 

"Yup, the grate, the cover, is completely gone," explained the caller.   

The woman and her baby fell 20 feet. 

"She was still holding on to her child as a motherly-type of instinct," said Clarksville Fire's Randy Ellis.  

Ellis said a first responder found a second entrance to the drain, crawled through a hole and took manhole stairs to retrieve mother and child. 

The mom was put on a stretcher and pulled the surface. 

"She assured them the child was alright and she was in some pain and all. She had pain in her left leg and chest," said Clarksville Deputy Fire Chief Ray Williams. 

A first responder stayed with the baby and after the mother was out, the baby was carried to the surface. The rescue took about 30 minutes. 

The woman was airlifted to a Nashville hospital. Police said the extent of her injuries is unknown, but she was talking and had no visible signs of serious injury. The baby, under a year old, had an abrasion but did not appear to have serious injuries. 

The baby was taken via ambulance to Tennova.  No first responders were harmed. 

"It makes you feel good especially since the mother and the baby came out safe," said Ellis. "Our first responders went home this morning in the same condition that they came to work, so it all falls back to the basics in the training." 

The school district checked the storm drains on all school campuses after the incident. 

"Safety is always our top priority, and while there are things beyond our control, we are committed to doing everything within our power to ensure our campuses are safe," a Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools spokesperson said in a statement. 

There were several events happening at Rossview High Thursday night, including a wrestling match and choir concert. It's unclear which event the woman and her child were attending. 

More Stories

Local News

Latest News - Local

Video Center