SMYRNA, Tenn. (WKRN) - One person was killed when a tanker fire closed Interstate 24 in both directions in Rutherford County Thursday morning.
The fire happened off the eastbound lanes near the Almaville Road exit around 8:20 a.m.
According to Rutherford County Fire and Rescue, one person was killed in the crash after they became entrapped in the truck’s cab.
A witness reported the driver of the tanker, “He just drove off into the woods.”
Authorities said the driver had just offloaded poly oil in Ashland City and there was only a minimum amount left in the tanker.
HAZMAT crews with Rutherford County EMA dug a trench around the tanker to contain runoff oil from leaking into the ground.
Both lanes of travel were closed to traffic though the westbound lanes have since reopened. The right eastbound lane remains closed.
The driver's identity has not been released.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Poll: Is Nashville's infrastructure keeping up with all the growth?
- Swath of South faces wintry mess: Snow, sleet, freezing rain
- Winter lashes out at Clarksville-Montgomery County area
- Winter Weather in North Middle TN