Texas girl electrocuted reaching behind dryer for kittens

Greenlee Marie

NEW BOSTON, Texas —Authorities in East Texas are investigating the death of a 10-year-old girl who was apparently electrocuted as she was reaching behind a clothes dryer to retrieve her kittens.

KSLA-TV in Shreveport, Louisiana, reports that the parents of Greenlee Marie said she was trying to rescue the pets Saturday at the family’s home in New Boston, Texas.

“She is a beautiful soul. She has more compassion in her at 10 years old than most adults do in their entire life time. She loved her babies and she would do anything for them,” said her mother Shelby Roos.

“There is no reason our baby should be gone. You don’t die inside your own house,” father Scott Hendrix said.

Authorities were back at the home on Monday investigating.

New Boston police Chief Garry McCrary told the television station the home had electrical issues in the past but that it’s “too early right now to go ahead and place blame and responsibility until the investigation is over.”

The girl’s body was sent to Dallas for an autopsy.

Her parents have set up a fund for people to donate to a local animal rescue in the name of Greenlee Marie.

“That is something even at 10 years old she was so passionate about. I want to honor her that way,” Roos said.

New Boston is about 20 miles from the Arkansas border and about 150 miles northeast of Dallas.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Community Calendar