NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - A man was arrested and indicted on charges that he threatened Congressional Member Diane Black.
According to an indictment, Clifton Ward threatened to assault and murder Congressman Black, who is also a candidate for governor.
Officials said the threats were left in a voicemail at one of the congressman's district offices.
Congressman Black wouldn't provide details on the threats but said they were serious enough that a grand jury indicted Ward.
The threats came shortly after Congressman Black introduced the Border Wall Trust Fund Act to provide funding for President Donald Trump's border wall.
In 2017, there were at least 2,000 threats against members of Congress.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Titans play call on 2-pt conversion up for debate
- Drivers take up Nashville Commuter Challenge to combat traffic
- Lee's company contracts with state, local governments questioned by Dean
- Car windows smashed in East Nashville, one company shows up to help