An elderly man was forced to leave his home Sunday morning because of a fire in his bedroom.
Heavy smoke was pouring from a bedroom window at the house of Waters Avenue in East Nashville.
Firefighters put out the fire in just a few minutes. No one was hurt.
They believe an electric space heater may be to blame.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office reminds you:
- All heaters need space. Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
- Turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
- Purchase and use space heaters that have an automatic shut-off-if they tip over, they shut off.
- Place space heaters on a solid, flat surface and keep them and their electrical cords away from things that can burn, high traffic areas, and doorways.
- Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.