GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – Gatlinburg police say a man is facing charges after he shot at a bear he said was charging at him at a local motel.
53-year-old Gregory Sapp, of Hixson, Tenn, is facing charges of illegal discharge of a weapon and reckless endangerment. Gatlinburg police officers were dispatched to the Motel 6 on Ownby Street around 11:30 p.m. Thursday where Sapp told them he fired six shots at a bear that was charging at him.
The bear fled the area and could not be located. The Gatlinburg Police Department and the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency will continue their investigation into this matter.
This is a developing story and we’ll continue to update the details as they become available.
- WATCH: Braden Gall talks college football, conference-only schedules, and the possibility of playing no games
- House Dems urge Senate lawmakers to review police reform bill
- TDH: 1,955 new COVID-19 cases, 59,546 total, 723 deaths in Tennessee
- Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools delaying start date for new academic year
- 4 stabbed during brawl in North Nashville street