MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WKRN) – A very dangerous and bizarre scene played out in Murfreesboro over the weekend.

A naked man led police on a foot chase while waving a gun and then firing shots, according to police.

It happened at the Dana Downs Apartments at 1400 Lascassas Pike around 8 a.m. Saturday.

Lucas White lives at the apartments and was awoken that morning to his neighbor crying.

“I really couldn’t make out what she was said, but she said, ‘My boyfriend is running,’” White recalled.

After taking a closer look at the commotion, he saw a swarm of police officers chasing a man.

“Some of them were assault rifles, some of them were shotguns, some of them were pistols,” White said. “There were 10 cop cars for sure.”

Murfreesboro police told News 2 Cadari Lindsay, 21, was naked and had run through a plate glass window.

When they arrived, he was outside waving a pistol and started shooting.

“In an attempt to elude the officers, he began running from building to building, again firing shots the entire time,” spokesman Sgt. Kyle Evans said. “He was firing them into the air, in the ground, and again in the vicinity of the police officer.”

Police said the man had a Smith and Wesson .45 semi-automatic pistol.

When a supervisor, who is also on the SWAT Team, saw the slide was open, because he may have been out of bullets, they make their move.

“They were able to utilize a TASER and pepper spray; each had minimum effect on this individual,” Evans explained.

During the barrage of gunfire, Lindsay apparently accidently shot himself in the knee.

A funeral was going on next door at Woodfin Funeral Home.

“Bullets have no eyes when it fired from a gun it could have struck a police officer,” Evans said. “A lot of witnesses were standing watching the incident unfold, and very fortunate none of them were injured by the gun fire.”

Police believe he was high on drugs that may have been laced with something.

“During this entire altercation he was not feeling any pain and was incredibly aggressive and resisting the officer’s commands,” the police sergeant said.

News 2 learned four officers had to ride in the back of the ambulance to hold Lindsay down on the wait to the hospital. He is being watched around the clock while he recovers from both the gunshot wound and the effects of possible drugs.

Lindsay was released from the hospital on Tuesday afternoon and now faces 8 counts of aggravated assault for shooting int he direction of the officers.

Lindsay was a MTSU student; he wasn’t enrolled this semester.

University officials told News 2 he was a criminal justice major and spent time working as a student Raider Patrol who assisted officers with non-police matters like student escorts.