The natural gas leak on Compton Ave. near the Belmont University Campus has been stopped. Piedmont Natural Gas company shut off the gas line around 10::40 a.m.
Firefighters checked area buildings and are now allowing people to return to homes, businesses and some buildings on the Belmont campus.
The Fire Department says a major gas leak was caused by a construction crew hitting a natural gas line on Compton Ave. near 15th Avenue South.
Nashville Firefighters evacuated homes and buildings in one- block radius around the leak, which is near the Curb Events Center. An area around the Troutt Theater on the Belmont Campus was also evacuated.
Check back for updates on this developing story.