HICKMAN COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — A Bon Aqua couple is working to recover from a devastating fire that claimed their home of 15 years, as well as four pets inside, on Valentine’s Day.

Lisa Trotter told News 2 that she and her husband, Joe, received a call from a neighbor around 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 14, letting them know about smoke coming from their property. By the time they arrived, fire crews were hard at work, but their home was a total loss.

The Trotters said they believe the fire started due to an electrical shortage in their dryer, which Joe had been working on the day before.

“You stand here and watch your home burn knowing you can’t do anything about it, and knowing you had animals in there that you couldn’t save, it’s a gut wrenching feeling,” Lisa said.

This fire hits the couple at an especially hard time, as Joe is battling Stage 4 lung cancer.

In addition, the Trotters are raising their grandchildren after losing their daughter, Whitney, in a motorcycle crash several years ago. Whitney’s ashes were inside the home in an urn at the time of the fire. Thankfully, Lisa said, Whitney’s ashes were unharmed.

“It just amazes me that those fell the way they did, to where they didn’t just blow away,” Lisa said. “I think that was her way of telling me everything’s going to be okay.”

A family friend in McEwen has offered to give couple a mobile home that was set to be torn down, but now the Trotters need funds to help transport the home to their property. They also lost nearly all their belongings and furnishings, which will now need to be replaced.

One of the couple’s other children, Kimberly Yates, has stepped up to help her parents raise funds following the fire.

“It’s heartbreaking because for about four-and-a-half, five years, this was my home too,” Yates said as she teared up. “Well, mine and my son’s. They gave us a roof over our head when we had nowhere to go, so it’s heartbreaking,” Yates said.

📧 Have breaking come to you: Subscribe to News 2 email alerts

If you would like to help the Trotters, you can make a donation through GoFundMe, Venmo @Lisa-Trotter-8, or their daughter’s CashApp at $kimyates81.