MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WKRN)-Murfreesboro Fire-Rescue Department were on the scene of a fire at a local motel Sunday morning.
According to reports, Murfreesboro Fire Rescue Department (MFRD) crews were called to the Jackson Motel located at 831 NorthWest Broad Street, at 8:46 a.m. Sunday to a report of a fire in one of the rooms.
Fire crews began rescuing a man from a second-floor room directly above the fire.
Crews reported a man and woman in the burning room were able to get out on their own.
The man from the room above and the woman were taken by Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services (RCEMS) personnel to St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
The man is listed in critical condition. The woman is still being evaluated.
As firefighters quickly put out the fire, other crews began knocking on doors and evacuating 12 adjacent rooms.
Everyone else made it out safely.
Multiple crews came on the scene to assist with evacuation, including Fire station four and one.
Battalion Chief Blake Insell arrived to assist and gave a statement about the fire procedure.
“Anytime there is a fire at a multi-dwelling you fear the worst,” said MRFD Battalion Chief Blake Insell. “But all crews worked together to rapidly rescue guests, evacuate the motel and extinguish the fire. Their hard work should be commended.”
Murfreesboro Police Department officers responded to help with traffic control.
Officers blocked NorthWest Broad Street at Medical Center Pkwy and College Street at Medical Center Pkwy while fire crews were on scene.
All lanes of traffic are back open.
MFRD Fire Marshal’s Division has determined the cause of the fire to be electrical in nature.
They say it was due to an overloaded circuit.
The man and woman who suffered smoke inhalation have both been released from the hospital.
The man who escaped the burning motel room, was unharmed.