NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A wrongful delivery of chemicals to a South Nashville warehouse led to an explosion Friday afternoon.
NFD says crews were dispatched to 20 Culvert Street for reports of an explosion. When crews arrived on scene, they found a large industrial complex and a warehouse where a box of chemicals combusted. Investigators believe the box of chemicals had organic peroxide inside.
According to NFD, the organic peroxide chemicals were delivered to the warehouse mistakenly. The chemicals were shipped inside cardboard boxes that were shrink wrapped and left on a bay dock. The chemical inside the boxes reportedly must be stored at a critical temperature of -4 degrees or the risk of an explosion increases.
The boxes were left unattended and, with temperatures rising, the chemicals began to combust. However, there was no large threat as the explosion was contained to the items in the shrink wrap.
Employees did not know what was happening because they were unaware of the mistaken delivery, according to NFD.
Everyone inside the building was evacuated and no injuries were reported.
However, hazmat crews are on scene as other chemicals are still inside the building. Other companies are cleaning up and making sure no remaining residue is inside.
📲 Download the News 2 app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for WKRN email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on WKRN.com for Nashville, TN and all of Middle Tennessee.
This is a developing story. WKRN News 2 will continue to update this article as new information becomes available.