NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — Two fires that sparked at a high-rise building Sunday morning have been extinguished, but now hundreds of people are displaced.

The incident was reported just after 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 17 at the 505, a residential high-rise in the 500 block of Church Street. 

According to the Nashville Fire Department (NFD), the blaze started on the 27th floor of the building, which caused the sprinklers to activate and extinguish it.

| READ MORE | Latest headlines from Nashville and Davidson County

However, water that flowed down to lowers levels of the building reportedly caused an electrical fire to spark on the 24th floor. 

Officials said that crews were able to put out the second fire and no injuries were reported among residents or personnel at the scene. 

Residents recalled evacuating through the stairwell, with some residents walking down 20 or more flights.

“Everyone was, like, in a line basically, coming from all the upper floors, so the water was just, like, flowing down the stairs all the way and the lights were out,” resident Thomas Cole said. “It was, like, kind of scary, and people were freaking out and trying to carry all their animals out. There’s a lot of dogs and cats and stuff here.”

| READ MORE | Latest headlines from Nashville and Davidson County

According to fire officials, during the incident, crews worked to gain access to the impacted floors by the stairs to make sure everyone was safe.

“Most of the people were outside by the time I had woken up. I just went outside in the hallway — it was pitch black, there was no windows, luckily my phone was charged — and came down the stairwell,” resident Colin Houdeshell recalled.

Evacuation efforts for impacted residents remained underway into the late morning hours at the high-rise building. The department said some residents required special assistance to leave, so crews found ways to light the exits to evacuate them safely.

NFD announced shortly before 4:30 p.m. that the scene had been turned over to property management of the 505, but the building is still on “fire watch.”

⏩ Read today’s top stories on

Several residents stayed with friends Sunday night while waiting on power to be restored in their units.

“I had my dog and we hummed down those 21 floors,” said Jackson Schlossnagle, who lives on the 21st floor at the 505 building. “It wasn’t too bad… They told us that we might have to stay out of the apartment complex for a couple nights, so just go see a buddy and root on the Cowboys.”

Officials said floors three through 29 will continue to be without power, adding that residents of approximately 350 units will be displaced.