NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Belmont University student was shot near campus early Saturday morning.
Belmont security tells News 2 at around 1:15 a.m. Saturday, a student said he was in a car with some friends traveling down 21st Avenue near Blair Boulevard, about half a mile from campus. That’s when someone in a car going the opposite direction reportedly fired shots toward them.
The student told security he was grazed by two bullets. He was taken to a local hospital where he was treated and released.
📧 Have breaking come to you: Subscribe to News 2 email alerts →
Security says the vehicle involved in the shooting is a grey sedan with black racing stripes on the hood.
The school family is asked to remember to follow these safety tips:
- Stay alert for suspicious activity and notify Security if you see something of concern.
- Remain aware of your surroundings. Keep your eyes up and alert when walking.
- Travel in groups, especially at night. Use the buddy system. Communicate your whereabouts and stay together when traveling.
- Travel in well-lit and well-populated areas.
- Use the security escort service provided by Campus Security when on campus.
- Trust your instincts – if you feel unsafe, get to a safe location; walk confidently and with purpose away from the risk and call Campus Security or the Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD).
- Report suspicious activity immediately.
Below are some important phone numbers to keep in mind.
- Belmont Security non-emergency: 615-460-6617
- Belmont Security emergency: 615-460-6911
- Belmont University Office of Campus Security: 615-460-6617 or email email@example.com
- Metro Nashville Police non-emergency: 615-862-8600
- Metro Nashville Police emergency: 911
📲 Download the News 2 app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for WKRN email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on WKRN.com for Nashville, TN and all of Middle Tennessee.
This is a developing story. WKRN News 2 will continue to update this article as new information becomes available.