NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A child suffered a seizure while holding a lighter, igniting a blanket and sparking a North Nashville duplex fire Wednesday morning, according to the fire department.
Nashville firefighters responded around 5:30 a.m. to reports of a residential fire on 14th Avenue North at Cass Street.
When firefighters arrived, they said heavy smoke and flames were visible from one side of the duplex.
All ten people inside the residence, including one child, had escaped from the burning duplex. One adult was transported to a hospital for anxiety, according to the fire department.
Firefighters said there were five people inside one unit, when a child suffered a seizure while holding a lighter, causing a blanket to ignite.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading further.
The American Red Cross is assisting the ten people who live in the duplex.
The fire remains under investigation.