CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — Two brothers were killed and five people — including four police officers and a hostage — were injured in a standoff that began Tuesday afternoon and ended early Wednesday morning in Clarksville.

In a news release sent out at 4:12 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 15, the Clarksville Police Department said officers had set up a perimeter on Union Hall Drive and White Oak Drive, where police were negotiating with a suspect.

Authorities said they believed three people were inside the home during the standoff. One of the suspects allegedly fired several shots toward them, injuring an officer. The officer was taken to Tennova Healthcare for treatment of a non-life-threatening foot injury.

Needmore Road and Union Hall Road remained shut down for hours as officers continued negotiations. The roadways have since reopened. Clarksville police asked the public to avoid the area and told nearby residents to stay inside their homes until the scene was resolved.

One neighbor told News 2 she heard several gunshots as police were working to surround the suspect. She also said her husband was outside when gunfire erupted and he had hid behind an apartment building.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) provided new details about the standoff on Wednesday, Aug. 16, saying an officer-involved shooting took place at the apartment complex just after 12:30 a.m.

⏩ Read today’s top stories on

According to the TBI, Clarksville officers had executed arrest warrants Tuesday afternoon for 31-year-old Brandon Green and 33-year-old Leonard Green, charging each with aggravated burglary. However, the brothers allegedly barricaded themselves in an apartment with a hostage, resulting in several hours of negotiations with officers.

Officials said officers eventually entered the home and a shootout occurred, which led to the Green brothers being shot and killed and the hostage being shot and injured.

In addition, the TBI reported four Clarksville officers were hit by gunfire during the incident, but none of them sustained life-threatening injuries.

| READ MORE | Latest headlines from Clarksville and Montgomery County

Just before 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, Clarksville police confirmed that the barricade situation had come to an end.

Meanwhile, the TBI said its special agents are investigating the circumstances that led to Wednesday morning’s deadly officer-involved shooting.

TBI agents continue to work to independently determine the series of events leading to the shooting, including collecting evidence and conducting interviews.  Throughout the process, investigative findings will be shared with the district attorney general for his review and consideration.  The TBI acts solely as fact-finders in its cases and does not determine whether the actions of an officer were justified in these types of matters; that decision rests with the district attorney general requesting TBI’s involvement.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation

No further information was immediately available.

📲 Download the News 2 app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for WKRN email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on for Nashville, TN and all of Middle Tennessee.

This is a developing story. WKRN News 2 will continue to update this article as new information becomes available.