Bush-hogger runs over in-ground propane tank in Rutherford County

Local News
gas-leak-in-rutherford-county_1532637268799.jpg

A Rutherford County man bush-hogging ran over an in-ground propane tank, causing a major and potentially dangerous gas leak.  

It happened at a home on Old Almaville Road around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.  

Officials said the man ran over the tank with a tractor, causing a valve to break.  

Crews immediately began trying to protect the home from filling with fumes.  

The fire department used water streams to redirect the fumes away from the home and personnel.  

“It could have been pretty bad.  Propane fumes inside the house, a light switch, heater switch anything like that could have ignited those fumes. Fortunately, the power was turned off early in the incident and that reduced that.  The wind has kind of been a challenge cause it has been changing direction on us, so, but the fact there was a wind helped some,” said Captain Larry Sloane with Rutherford County Fire and Rescue.  

Ameri-Gas was called to help contain the leak. Fire officials said the underground propane tank will have to be replaced.  

Bedford County fire also assisted. No one was injured.  

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss