5 hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after Macon County house fire

Local News

MACON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – After an incident in Macon County, five people were sent to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a release from the Macon Community Hospital.

A family member tells News 2 the five people taken to the hospital were a mother and her four children. The family member says her aunt woke up not feeling well. The niece, who says she lives next door, went over to the house to get the children. She says she found her aunt passed out on the bathroom floor. One of the children also allegedly passed out.

It happened around 9:50 a.m. on Carlene Jones Road. The Lafayette Fire Department confirmed with News 2 this stemmed from an electrical fire which caused the insulation in the ceiling of the home to catch fire.

The hospital says five people were transported from the scene by EMS to the facility for carbon monoxide poisoning. The release from the hospital says all patients were in emergent condition upon arrival. Hospital staff are actively providing treatment.

The family expects the family will be released within a day or two.

This is a developing story. Stay with News 2 and WKRN.com for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories