3 metro supervisors face discipline from 2018 incident that injured officer

Local News
Metro Supervisors_1549927364827.jpg.jpg

Three Metro police supervisors are facing discipline from the department following a 2018 incident where an officer was injured.  

On Oct. 5, 2018, Officer Samuel Galluzzi was injured during a shootout with 31-year-old Sershawn Martez Dillion at the Overlook Apartments on Buena Vista Pike.

According to a release, Officer Galluzzi and another officer were dispatched to assist two officers working an off-duty secondary employment visibility assignment in the Cumberland Pointe apartment complex concerning a man who was involved in shots fired call, had assaulted a woman and entered a stranger’s apartment with innocent people inside.  

Officials said Galluzzi called Sgt. Harold Wells and expressed concerned about the situation. Wells then called and told Lt. Viviyonne Lee, but the supervisors did not immediately come to the scene. They told Galluzzi over the phone that if he had no further information to write a report and check back into service.  

Authorities say a still concerned officer Galluzzi then called Sgt. James Boone and after being made aware of what other supervisors told him, Galluzzi was told to request a north precinct detective to respond to the scene to help.  

Police say the investigation found that the supervisors didn’t arrive until after the detective got to the complex. Once there, Lt. Lee obtained a pass key and the officers went into the apartment rather than calling for a SWAT response. She used the key card to open the door to the apartment and announced that she was conducting a welfare check.  

According to officials, that’s when Dillion began shooting at officers. They shot back, killing him. Officer Galluzzi was hit in the leg and the ankle.  

Metro police say the Office of Professional Accountability concluded its investigation and determined that if the supervisors had used all of the information that was available to them that night, Galluzzi might have avoided being wounded.  

The Office of Professional accountability recommended that Lt. Viviyonne Lee, who was the north precinct’s evening shift supervisor on Oct. 5, be demoted to officer and receive a 20-day suspension. It was recommended that Sgt. Harold Wells, who was the north precinct’s direct supervisor, be demoted to police officer.  

Police said Lee and Wells have until later this month to accept the recommendations or request formal department disciplinary hearings.  

According to a release, it was also recommended that the third supervisor, Sgt. James Boone was recommended for a five-day suspension. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Community Calendar