Investigators are working to figure out what sparked a fatal house fire Thursday morning in Henry County.
According to the Henry Volunteer Fire Department, firefighters responded around 11:30 a.m. to a residential fire in the 8500 block of Highway 79, outside of Henry.
When crews arrived, they said flames were coming from the roof, as one resident alerted firefighters that multiple people could be trapped inside.
As the interior attack team made its way to the back of the structure, a person ran out of the house, covered in smoke, yelling that someone was still inside.
Firefighters and one of the residents were able to pull the victim from the burning home, but the fire department said that person did not survive.
The Henry County Sheriff’s Office identified the victim Friday morning as Steven Travers and said the 52-year-old had been staying in the home for about seven months.
Travers likely died of smoke inhalation, deputies added.
Firefighters said it appeared the home did not have working smoke detectors.