Inspired by #MeToo movement, young rape victim shares story while waiting for justice


A young woman trying to move forward after being drugged and raped by two men last year, says the court system is failing her. 

It’s been nearly a year and a half since Courtney Hewitt says two men raped her at a bonfire in Murfreesboro. 

Now, inspired by the #MeToo movement, she is sharing her story and the struggles rape victims face during the prosecution process 
The early morning hours of April 30, 2017, regularly haunt Hewitt.  
“I’ll have nightmares about them doing it to me again and won’t go back to sleep, because I’m scared,” Hewitt explained.  

She says she was at a friend’s house around a bonfire with two men she thought were her friends.  
“We had met at church a few years back,” she said.   
She says she had two spiked energy drinks.  
“Finished my drink and about 30 minutes later is when everything became really blurry and the next thing I know, I was on the ground,” she explained.  
That’s when Hewitt says the two men took turns raping her.  
“I was just lying there hoping to God it was going to stop. I don’t know how long I was laying there, they just kept switching back and forth. I just remember the sky spinning. I couldn’t physically move, I couldn’t speak, nobody asked me if it was ok,” Hewitt recalled.  
She woke the next morning at her house. She says her father called police and police arrested Cody Davis and Calvin Mosby. Both men face four counts of aggravated rape and two counts of rape.  
“Now we are waiting on the trial and they keep resetting it,” she said.   
She says the court process has been continued at least a dozen times. She added the process has been a nightmare, along with online victim shaming. 
“How much pain and how much trauma I’ve dealt with this after this is just too much to handle,” said Hewitt.  

She says it’s been so hard that she attempted to commit suicide. She has since gotten help and medication to deal with the pain.  

While her struggle to find peace has been difficult, Hewitt hopes other survivors will stand together and share their stories. 

Another continuance date has been set for December in this case.  

The criminal clerk’s office said it’s not uncommon for cases like this to be continued, saying they are usually waiting on TBI testing. 

However, the TBI told News 2 the sexual assault kit in this case was completed several months ago.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News 2 StormTracker RadarDownload the WKRN Weather Authority App

Don't Miss

Trending Stories