Hoverboard catches fire in Antioch, damages home

News
Piccadilly Road, Hoverboard fire in Antioch_472117

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A hoverboard caught fire Wednesday afternoon at a home in Antioch.

It happened on Piccadilly Road just before 3 p.m. while the fire department says the board was being charged.

The fire department said the homeowner reported the lithium-ion batteries overheated and exploded.

Smoke detectors were present in the home and activated, alerting the family, fire officials said.

The family was home at the time and damage was minimized because the father used buckets of water to control the fire until fire department arrived.

No one was injured, but the carpet and floor sustained serious damage, and the smoke damaged the home as well. The family was not displaced.

According to a press release, the homeowner actually ordered two of the hoverboards, but one hoverboard did not work and is intact.

Officials have not confirmed what type of hoverboard it was, but News 2 saw it being placed in a Smart Balance Wheel box.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, a hoverboard caused a deadly fire that killed a 2-year-old girl and 10-year-old girl in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in March 2017.

The USCPSC suggests hoverboards should be compliant with the UL2272 safety standard. However, even UL2272 compliance cannot guarantee that a hoverboard will not overheat or catch on fire.

Check for recalls. Go to www.CPSC.gov to see if the hoverboard has been recalled. Stop using a recalled hoverboard immediately and contact the manufacturer for the remedy.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Community Calendar