Former Hopkinsville daycare worker accused of child abuse

HOPKINSVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - A former daycare worker is accused of harming two babies she was trusted to care for. 

Allison Simpson is charged with wanton endangerment and second-degree child abuse. She was charged Wednesday for the abuse that officers said happened Jan. 10 at Hopkinsville First United Methodist Church's daycare. The incident was reported last Thursday. 

According to her arrest warrant, Simpson "subjected a 10-month-old baby in her care to cruel confinement and punishment, and wantonly engaged in conduct toward that baby and another baby, 8 months old, which created substantial danger of serious physical injury to both babies."

Hopkinsville police said there is video of the alleged abuse. A police spokesman told News 2 detectives are still reviewing the video and cannot comment further on the circumstances of what happened.

Reverend Paige Williams, Senior Pastor at Hopkinsville FUMC, addressed the allegations Sunday. During the service that was streamed on Facebook, Reverend Williams said, "When I was made aware of an allegation of physical mistreatment in our daycare, a determination was made to dismiss that staff person in question. On the following day, the director of our daycare resigned. The Hopkinsville Police Department is aware of the allegation and they are investigating. Hopkinsville First will cooperate fully with that investigation. The Department of Community Based Services, or DCBS, is also aware and a representative was here Friday to investigate. We will continue to cooperate fully with their investigation as well."

The daycare has been closed indefinitely while the church searches for a new director.

Associate Pastor Jeff Calhoun released a statement Friday, saying: 

The safety of everyone in our church is our highest priority and we take any allegations of misconduct very seriously. Following an allegation of physical mistreatment involving the Daycare at Hopkinsville First United Methodist Church, a Daycare worker was terminated from employment and subsequently arrested. There have also been subsequent dismissals and resignations.

Because the Daycare does not currently have a director, it has been closed indefinitely. 

Due to the ongoing investigation, we are not able to address specific details regarding personnel. 

We continue to cooperate fully and transparently with law enforcement and the Kentucky Department of Community Based Services.

We remain in prayerful and grace-filled support for all who have been impacted by these allegations. 



National Stories

Local News

Video Center