Elderly man dies after catching fire in Springfield

WKRN web staff - SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. (WKRN) - A 76-year-old man was found severely burned in a chair Thursday afternoon in Springfield and later died.

Authorities were called to the Ice House Storage Facility on South Main Street at 1:30 p.m. in reference to a man being on fire.

When they arrived, they found Eddie Chapman in a chair underneath a car port out back the business.

His clothes were burned off and he had severe burns all over his body.

An investigation revealed Chapman had been working on a car inside the garage at the time of the incident.

A witness told officers they saw Chapman running out of the garage on fire.

He was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in serious condition where he later died Thursday evening.

Both the Springfield police and fire departments are conduction an investigation. Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact Springfield police at 615-384-8422.

More Stories

Meet the Team

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News - Local

Video Center