Death of teens that drank racing fuel found to be accidental

News
Logan Stephenson, J.D. Byram_252487

GREENBRIER, Tenn. (WKRN) – Autopsy results have been completed for two teenagers who died late January after drinking what was deemed to be racing fuel mixed with soda.

Medical officials say the deaths of Logan Stephenson and J.D. Byram, both 16, were found to be accidental in nature.

The Greenbrier High School students were reportedly among of group of teenagers who drank the substance around Jan. 20.

Stephenson was found unresponsive inside his home the following day while Byram was taken to Vanderbilt University’s hospital where he died a few days later.

It’s alleged the teens drank what some call homemade “Dewshine,” a mixture of racing fuel and Mountain Dew. The dangerous mixture is often ingested in an effort to get drunk as racing fuel is almost 100 percent methanol.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Community Calendar