NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - A man was arrested Thursday afternoon in connection to the death of a 3-year-old child over the weekend.
26-year-old Christopher J. Riley was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse for the severe trauma related death of a 3-year-old girl he babysat on Saturday.
Youth services detectives said 3-year-old Laylani Rose Stevens was brought to St. Thomas Hospital West by her mom late Saturday night.
According to police, Laylani's mom, after not being able to find another babysitter, asked Riley, a friend, to watch her daughter while she was at work.
Officers said the mom returned to her home on Highway 70 at 10 p.m. Saturday night and found Laylani unresponsive.
She was immediately transported to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Police said she suffered extensive head trauma and other internal and external injuries.
Laylani died Sunday afternoon.
Riley originally told the mom that the little girl's injuries were caused by a fall. Doctors found that the injuries were inconsistent with a fall, leading to his arrest.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- US Senate rivals in Tennessee clash in 1st debate
- Bill overhauling songwriter royalties heads to Trump's desk
- Texas mom pleads guilty in deaths of 2 kids inside hot car
- Old Hickory teen's death being investigated as homicide
News 2 reports on The Faces of Human Trafficking all day Thursday in every newscast. Hear from survivors, activists and law enforcement about how they're handling the growing concerns, including the abuse of children.Read More »