Accused killer Kirby Wallace in custody after intense manhunt


After an intense manhunt, accused murderer Kirby Wallace has been taken into custody.   

Wallace was located late Friday morning by Henry County Sheriff Monte Belew and his team in a wooded area near Hayes Ridge Road and Bartee Road in Stewart County.  A K-9 named Rowdy helped lead to his arrest. 

(Photo: WKRN)

Sheriff Belew said Wallace was cooperative for the most part and that he was spotted from a deer stand. 

“He basically walked right to us. It was luck,” the sheriff said.  

PHOTOS: Kirby Wallace captured

Wallace ultimately followed the sheriff’s commands with little resistance. A loaded handgun was found in his waistband. 

According to Sheriff Belew, Wallace admitted to considering shooting at law enforcement. 

“We’re very lucky we didn’t wind up in a shootout,” Belew said. 

He added, “I’m glad he’s in custody. We were lucky to get him in custody without incident. We were lucky – we were in the right place at the right time.” 

News 2’s cameras were rolling as Wallace was led out of the woods just after 10:30 a.m. 

No one was injured as he was taken into custody. 

“To say we’re grateful doesn’t seem to do justice,” said Assistant TBI Director Dewayne Johnson. “Your vigilance, support, prayers and donations made all the difference.” 

After being taken into custody, Wallace’s vitals were checked and he will be taken directly to jail.

He is charged with two counts of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, aggravated arson, especially aggravated robbery and especially aggravated kidnapping. 

Hundreds of deputies, officers and authorities began searching for Wallace last Saturday. The 53-year-old was wanted by authorities after two recent murders in Montgomery and Stewart counties. 

Montgomery County Sheriff John Fuson has vowed that Wallace will face justice. 

After news of Wallace’s arrest broke, many residents told News 2 they will sleep easier tonight knowing he is in jail. 

Wallace has a lengthy criminal record that dates back to the 1980s.

He was booked into the Stewart County jail where he is being held without bond. He is due in court on Tuesday at 4 p.m. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories