3 teens in custody after escaping from youth facility in Donelson


NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — UPDATE: TrueCore released a statement Thursday regarding the incident. A spokesperson for the company announced that three staff members have been terminated and an investigation is underway.

TrueCore Behavioral Solutions provides services to at-risk youth to assist in their development. At times these interactions can produce specific challenges, as has occurred last night at the Academy for Young Men. We appreciate the assistance, support and professionalism of the Metro Nashville Police Department. We have begun investigating the facts of this incident and have terminated three staff from this facility for failing to follow proper operating procedures, which contributed to this escape. We will continue to work with the Department of Children’s Services to make any needed adjustments going forward.  The safety of the youth and staff at our facilities and the public are our top priorities.

Three teenagers are back in custody after they escaped from a youth facility in Donelson Wednesday night.

Metro officers were called to the TrueCore Juvenile Detention Center on Stewarts Ferry Pike just after 9 p.m. in response to the escaped teens.

Staff at TrueCore reportedly told Metro police they were unsure how the teens escaped the facility and that it could have been over an hour since they fled.

MORE: DCS stops placement of youth at certain facilities after 5 juveniles escape

TrueCore escaped teens dec 5
(Photo: WKRN)

Officers reviewed surveillance footage and confirmed the teens escaped, according to Metro police. Two of the teens were captured a short time later in the 700 block of Stewarts Ferry Pike near the Waffle House after a brief footchase.

The third escapee was taken into custody at a nearby apartment complex without incident.

No other information was released at this time.

RELATED: Group of teen girls attempt to escape Donelson juvenile facility

In April 2016, five juveniles were charged after starting a small riot at the facility. 

Metro’s Chief of Police Steve Anderson expressed concern in May 2016 after a small riot inside the facility and an escape by two teens. One of the teens was involved in another escape prior to the one in April 2016.

“I am very concerned about the apparent lack of remedial action after escapes from this facility over the past several months,” Chief Anderson said.

MORE: 17-year-old still on the run after 2 escape Nashville youth facility

This is a developing story. Stay with News 2 and WKRN.com for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss