A wife and mother was stabbed to death by her husband, who was subsequently shot and killed by her father, Tuesday afternoon at the Governor’s Club in Brentwood. 

It happened around 2:30 p.m. at one of the largest homes in the gated community on Governors Way.   

Brentwood Police Chief Jeff Hughes said Jerry Matthews stabbed both his wife, 39-year-old Emma Teeters, and her father, Terry Teeters, 78. 

Terry Teeters intervened to save Emma and shot and killed 55-year-old Matthews, according to police. 

Emma Teeters was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where she died from her injuries. 

Matthews died at the scene, according to police.  

Terry Teeters was injured during the altercation and taken to Vanderbilt. He was last listed in critical but stable condition.

News 2 has learned that Matthews was the Chairman and CEO of Matthews Aviation.

On Wednesday, Matthews Aviation released a statement that said, “It is with a heavy heart and great sadness we announce the loss of our Chairman and CEO, Jerry Matthews. Please pray for Jerry and his wife Emma Teeters. Pray for a speedy recovery for Emma’s father, Terry Teeters. And, finally, keep their children and families in your thoughts as they deal with the tragedy surrounding the events that unfolded yesterday. Jerry was a leader in the aviation staffing industry for decades and we intend to continue his proud legacy through the company he founded, Matthews Aviation.”  

Police said they were familiar with Matthews, but did not elaborate on how.  

Chief Hughes said there were two to three other people in the home during the altercation, including Teeters’ wife, and one or more of Emma Teeters’ children from a previous marriage. 

Police calls at the gated and exclusive Governor’s Way are not common. The last violent death there was also the result of domestic violence. 

In 2013, Rachael Maidens, a Brentwood orthodontist was killed at her home in the Governors Club. Her husband, Randy Maidens, was charged for her murder and sentenced to 25 years. The couple’s young daughter, who was inside the home at the time, was not hurt.