Davis Nolan’s Fall Funtacular at Towerview Farm in Houston County

Funtacular
Davis_Nolan_s_Fall_Funtacular_0_20180921234902

ERIN, Tenn.  (WKRN) – Fall officially starts this weekend, so Davis Nolan’s Fall Funtacular series is back for the third year in a row.

To kick it off this year, Davis visited Towerview Farm in Houston County.  It has been in the Clark family on Highway 49 for generations.  The reason they call it Towerview is that they moved an old fire tower from an adjacent property to the farm. Visitors are able to climb up the tower to see the view from aloft.

It is actually a working farm. They grow corn, hay, and vegetables, as well as raise cattle and sheep.  

But at Towerview the Clarks enjoy demonstrating to folks how products are made the old-fashioned way.  They make sorghum with a mule-powered sorghum mill, grind cornmeal with an old-fashioned grinder, and make apple cider with an old wooden machine.  They also produce lye soap and local honey. In the fall, you can buy your pumpkins there.

One thing they pride themselves on is teaching young people how agriculture works and where the products come from. “We partner with the Houston County Farm Bureau to teach ‘Ag in the Classroom’ to local schools, says Jason Clark.

One rather unusual item on the farm is an ATM machine set on the side of a cornfield.  A local bank in Franklin gave it to them, and it’s quite a conversation piece in the community.

“We like to do the odd and the unusual here at Towerview Farm. I teach at Dickson County High School, and I had to show my kids this because they didn’t believe I had an ATM in a cornfield,” said Joel Clark.

By the way, all of their products are available for purchase.  The sorghum, cornmeal, cider, and lye soap are specialties.

Towerview Farm is open 7 days a week, and they say that if nobody is present, you can buy their products and leave money in a cup.

They are located at 12457 Highway 49 Erin, TN 37061.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Community Calendar