COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - The 2 Gives Back crew traveled east down Interstate 40 today to deliver lunch to the men and women of District 6 of the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Each week News 2 partners with Nissan of Cool Springs to deliver lunch to the men and woman that work to keep us safe.
Captain RC Christian and Lt. Jimmy Neal talked to Brie Thiele about the dangers of distracted driving and the 'Drive to Zero.'
Lt. Neal said that no one is ever expecting to be in an accident, so it's important to take the proper precautions before you get on the road. That includes buckling up, putting away the phone, and making sure all other distractions are removed from the vehicle.
Capt. Christian and Lt. Neal also talked about the 'Drive to Zero' campaign.
"That is how many fatalities we are willing to accept on the roadways, and that number is zero," Lt. Neal said. "We have a lot of troopers and they are looking for hazardous moving violations all the time. They're looking for distracted drivers. We will not tolerate it."
Capt. Christian said he knows the loss of life is more than just a name on a report they fill out.
"We take it very seriously. We know there are families affected," he said. "We know there is a reduction of these roadway fatalities statewide and we want to continue that trend."
You can watch the full interview with Captain RC and Lt. Neal below.
2 Gives Back: Franklin Fire...
2 Gives Back: Tennessee Highway...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Marcus Mariota injury changed to ‘stinger'
- Chicago police: Shots fired near hospital, multiple victims
- Newsmaker: Rescue mission provides Thanksgiving meal to Nashville's homeless
- Attention Shoppers: Store hours on Thanksgiving and Black Friday