As an umpire from Dickson County was calling balls and strikes at the National Little League World Series this weekend, an emergency was unfolding at home.
Hank Freeman's house in White Bluff caught fire while he was 800 miles away, unable to do anything about it.
Freeman spoke to News 2 by phone Monday from Williamsport, Pennsylvania, where he's umping for the Little League's world championship.
His said his wife called when the tragedy happened.
“She said the house is on fire,” he recalled, reacting with, “'Seriously? You're telling me my house is on fire, and I'm 800 miles away?'”
Fortunately, his wife and young children weren't home when it happened and no one was injured.
Freeman said initial reports indicate a light fixture may have shorted and sparked the blaze.
“We've probably lost our home, but my family is safe; all healthy and alive and unhurt,” he said, “and that means more to me than anything I've got.”
Freeman told News 2 he'll be back in Dickson County next week.
His first order of business is to find a temporary place to live while he and his wife work things out with their insurance company.
“Occasionally we strike out in life. Occasionally we walk in life. Sometimes things go our way, and sometimes they don't,” Freeman added.
441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210