The fire alarms that alerted officials were only installed a mere six months ago.
Brody said if the smoke detectors hadn’t have been installed, the situation would’ve been much worse.
“This is a terrible thing. Everyone pray for these little animals, and all of our staff, and the ones that were lost, that we'll mourn, but just the fact that it could've been so much worse we've got to be grateful,” she said.
The laundry room was destroyed and the rest of the building suffered heavy smoke damage.
The center said they plan rebuild the laundry room in a detached building away from the animals, but repairs will cost approximately $5,000.
Those interested in donating to Walden’s Puddle or viewing a list of items they need can visit their Web site at WaldensPuddle.org.
Two commercial washers and dryers have already been donated.
Walden’s Puddle is continuing to admit animals to the rescue, but is asking people only bring in wildlife in critical condition.