Lightning struck a home in Green Hills during the early morning hours Thursday causing the chimney to explode.
Broken and charred bricks were found all over the roof and driveway of the home located on Benton Smith Road off Harding Place.
The loud boom woke up Clyde Perkins and his wife around 3:30 a.m.
They found their living room filled with smoke and their fireplace destroyed.
The fire department told Clyde his house could've easily been a total loss.
“We didn't have any power, couldn't use even a cell phone, we couldn't use anything, so all I did, I knew, we live about a mile and a half from Kroger at Green Hills and I decided they're open 24 hours so I went in my car quickly over there and called 911 and the fire department was here in just minutes,” he said.
Firefighters told News 2 new insulation recently installed is likely what stopped the home from catching fire.
No one was injured but the Perkins’ home remains without power because the lightning strike destroyed the wiring throughout the house.
The Perkins have lived in the home for the last 49 years.