Community helps couple after fire destroys Kingston Springs home - WKRN News 2

Community helps couple after fire destroys Kingston Springs home

Posted: Updated: March 26, 2014 06:01 PM
More than 300 people have helped raise nearly $29,000 for the Bruce family. More than 300 people have helped raise nearly $29,000 for the Bruce family.
KINGSTON SPRINGS, Tenn. -

A Kingston Springs couple escaped a house fire with their lives, but little else earlier this month.

Cole and Amy Bruce, who run SkyKing Pizza, were asleep on the morning of March 19 when Amy sensed smoke coming from near the front porch.

"I thought it was a little blanket fire or something that I could stomp out," she recalled.

Amy said she quickly learned how big the fire was when it knocked out a window near the front door.

"When the glass broke, the entire house just completely filled up with smoke and fire: she said.

Cole was still in bed when he heard Amy scream.

"At that point it's just complete chaos and it's only been about 20 seconds from the time she got up," Cole said. "The entire house. It's unbelievably fast. I couldn't believe how fast it was." 

Holding back tears, Amy added, "I thought at some point that Cole wouldn't get out of there, but he did."

As word got out to the community about the devastating fire, the couple said hundreds of people came to what was left of their home wanting to help.

One of their friends, photographer Mandy Johnson, quickly set up an online donation page to help support the Bruce family.

In just a week, more than 300 people have helped raise nearly $29,000.

"A tremendous amount of people just started giving," Cole said. "It's overwhelming."

Amy added, "It's humbling and so encouraging and you know that everything is going to be ok. You're not alone in it and you know that all these smart, brilliant, kind-hearted people are without hesitation rushing to us. We're not going to be without."

On Friday night the Harpeth High School baseball team will honor the Bruce family and will donate ticket sales to help the couple.

The Bruce's said they believe one of their dogs knocked over a heat lamp, sparking the fire.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.