A man and woman are safe after passersby alerted them to a fire late Tuesday night in Hermitage.
Officials told News 2 that two women returning home from a Predators game around 11 p.m. spotted flames coming from the home in the 4300 block of Baton Rouge Drive.
One woman called 911 while the other knocked on the door to alert the couple.
Casey and Kimberly Jones told News 2 they were awake and had been using a wood burning stove Tuesday night, but had no idea their house was on fire.
"We heard the smoke alarm, but just thought we'd gotten the stacks of logs too close to the stove and that's what was setting it off," said Kimberly Jones.
Next, the couple heard someone pounding on the front door.
"We stopped the car, we hopped out. She called 911 and I ran up to the door and started ringing the doorbell and knocking really loud. Fire was coming out of the chimney," good samaritan Stephanie Smith told News 2.
The women yelled, "Get out, get out it's spreading fast and it's going to be falling in on top of you if you don't get out now," said Jones.
Kimberly was able to escape the burning home, but her husband continued going back inside to try to save their dog and four cats.
"Everyone was telling him he had to get out of the house but he wouldn't leave the animals. They are our babies," said Jones.
The couple and their pets escaped without harm.
Kimberly was transported to a nearby hospital as a precaution.
Wednesday morning, neighbors who don't know the couple, stopped by to see how they could help.
"Obviously they could use some things that maybe we could provide," Kayla Grant told News 2.
The home suffered quite a bit of damage. The roof is partially destroyed.