Massive blaze burns Nashville apartment complex - WKRN News 2

Massive blaze burns Nashville apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
Smoke could be seen from downtown Nashville. Smoke could be seen from downtown Nashville.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

A candle is likely to blame for a large fire at an apartment complex north of Nashville Tuesday afternoon.

The fire broke out around 1:45 p.m. at the Point Breeze Apartments on Lemont Drive off Ellington Parkway.

Nashville Fire Asst. Chief Walter Demonbreun told News 2 responding units reported heavy smoke.

The smoke was visible from as far away as downtown Nashville, seven miles from the complex.

Ten units are either damaged or destroyed but the fire did not spread to adjacent buildings.

The smoke detectors sounded and everyone in the building escaped without injury.  A firefighter was taken to a local hospital with minor burns to his face.

Chief Demonbreun said the fire sparked from a candle a resident was burning in her unit.

Carrol Bray told Nashville's News 2 that candle was burning in her apartment and it suddenly "exploded."

"It ignited and I went to attempt to de-flame it by smothering the flames," Bray said.

Bray was unable to extinguish the fire and the flames spread rapidly.

The Nashville Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

No residents were injured.

Crews had the fire under control in about 22 minutes.

Nearly a dozen residents at the Point Breeze Apartments were displaced following a fire in November 2012.  A tossed cigarette was to blame.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.