An overnight fire destroyed a historic home in Williamson County on Wednesday.
Crews were called to the 2100 block of Old Natchez Trace in Franklin around 12:30 a.m.
"When the first crew arrived on the scene they had heavy smoke showing from the kitchen area of the house. They make an internal attack and realized when they started pulling the ceiling and walls that the fire had got into the attic space," Captain Terry Hood said.
It took several hours to extinguish the flames and crews said the home's balloon frame construction made it difficult to battle the fire.
"With balloon frame construction, it's 2x4's from basement all the way to your attic space, and it's just a chimney effect, so once the fire starts in the basement, like what happened here, it went straight up the wall, straight to the attic," Hood explained.
All the residents were able to escape the home safely.
The home, which was built in 1815, is considered a total loss.
"It was tough on us because it's a historic home in Williamson County, now it's going to be rubble," Hood said.
Crews stayed on the scene for several hours watching for any signs of flare-ups.