Family of 3 displaced after apartment catches fire - WKRN News 2

Family of 3 displaced after apartment catches fire

Posted: Updated: Jan 18, 2014 12:58 PM
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -

A fire displaced three residents at a Murfreesboro apartment early Saturday morning.

Witnesses could see smoke coming from the G building at Northfield Commons located in the 2000 block of Willowbrook Drive.

Crews were able to extinguish the flames quickly.

Shift Commander Dale Maynard said, "It didn't take too much to put the fire out, but there was major heat in the unit."

One of the three residents was sleeping when the fire started.  Fortunately, the smoke detector woke her up.

When the resident opened her bedroom door she saw smoke as high as her head.  She managed to make it out of the apartment safely with one of her cats before first responders arrived.

Fire crews also located and rescued another cat from the residence.

The unit received a significant amount of smoke, fire and water damage.

"We were very lucky that the fire was contained to this unit," said Maynard.

Officials on scene say the fire appears to have started in the dryer.

Assistance from the American Red Cross was offered for the family, but was declined.

If you live in the city limits of Murfreesboro, MFRD offers a special program, Project SAFE, Smoke Alarms for Everyone. Free smoke detectors can be installed in your home. The department also has special detectors for the visually or hearing impaired. Contact MFRD Administration at 615-893-1422.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKRN (Young Broadcasting station). All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.