Multiple families displaced in 2-alarm apartment fire
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
Multiple families were displaced after a two-alarm fire in the Nashboro Village area Saturday morning.
The fire was reported around 5:30 a.m. at an apartment in the 200 block of Village Green Drive off of Nashboro Boulevard.
"They barely made it out, because when they came out their door was on fire and these apartments, it's one way in and one way out. Yeah, they are very fortunate that they got out when they did," said resident Frankie Ellis.
The assistant fire chief told News 2 that initial reports indicated children were trapped, so crews made an interior attack and discovered everyone got out of the apartment complex safely.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly but continue to douse hotspots from the roof.
Four of the units were deemed unlivable.
Officials told News 2 the fire was electrical in nature and believe it sparked in a wall between two units.
Multiple crews responded to the scene to help battle the blaze.
"We have to rehab the firefighters continuously. You have to remember when they get inside a house fire, not only is the fire hot that there body temperature gets hot so they start sweating and then they come outside in these kind of temperatures and we have to make sure they rehab quite frequently," said Assistant Chief, Chuck Hoover.
The Red Cross is assisting the families that were displaced.
No other details were immediately released. The fire remains under investigation.