Doctors warn of dangers associated with choking game - WKRN News 2

Doctors warn of dangers associated with popular choking game

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

Doctors at Vanderbilt University Medical Center are warning the public about a dangerous game where teens strangle themselves or someone else to lose consciousness in order to experience a short high.

The so-called "choking game," popular for children in the their early teens, can cause brain damage and, in some cases, death.

"The choking game has been around for at least several years; it's nothing new," Dr. David H. Arnold said. "This is a hazardous, potentially lethal activity to be engaging in. When the child passes out they can fall and cause an injury, in particular, a brain injury"

According to Dr. Arnold, in the past two weeks, Vanderbilt University Medical Center has seen two patients who sustained injuries while participating in the game.

"They were seriously injured from this and required intensive care," he said.

The choking game is also referred to as "the fainting game," "pass out," and "knock out."

Warning signs include blood shot eyes and recurring headaches.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKRN (Young Broadcasting station). All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.