House catches fire on same day family moves in - WKRN News 2

House catches fire on same day family moves in

Posted: Updated:

The residents displaced by a fire in their Goodlettsville house Friday night are now looking for a new place to call home.

Bill and Linda Kinnaird were about to spend their first night in the rental home on Hitt Lane when it caught fire.

News 2 learned that a family had just moved in a few hours earlier and was attempting to use the wood stove when they noticed heavy smoke coming from the roof.

"The roof fell in on everything," Linda Kinnaird said, as she dug through ash and wet insulation, looking for personal effects. "Things were coming down and you could hear things cracking."

When fire officials arrived on scene, the attic was already engulfed in flames.

The couple and their dog survived the blaze, but nearly everything they owned was destroyed by flames, smoke and water.

"It's devastating because we just moved in here. And now we have nothing."

The American Red Cross provided a hotel room for the Kinnairds Friday night, along with a $50 prepaid debit card.

They now plan to stay with family members until they find something permanent.

The homeowners have insurance on the house. They're waiting to hear whether the house is a total loss.

Previous Story:

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.