Crews save reptiles after heating lamp catches fire - WKRN News 2

Crews save reptiles after heating lamp catches fire at Discovery Center

Posted: Updated:
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -

Murfreesboro firefighters who responded to a smoke alarm found more than just smoke upon their arrival.

Management at the Discovery Center in Murfreesboro say firefighters saved spiders, snakes and lizards early Tuesday morning after a heating lamp caused a fire that damaged a small room near the animal display.

"This happened in the middle of the night. It's dark, sirens are going off and they just came on in and they were holding these snakes," said Discovery Center CEO Tara MacDougall. "Afterwards they shared that snakes were not their favorites."

According to officials, the smoke from the small fire triggered the building's sprinklers which then poured water into terrariums holding snakes, spiders, salamanders and geckos.  

"If we'd been 10 minutes later they would not have made it," said MacDougall.

None of the center's animals were injured in the incident; however a Madagascar hissing cockroach was killed.

A veterinarian will be called in to check the remaining animals to make sure their lungs were not damaged from the fire's smoke.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.