La Vergne students travel to class safer due to new sidewalks - WKRN News 2

La Vergne students travel to class safer due to new sidewalks

LA VERGNE, Tenn. -

La Vergne students returned to a full day of classes Monday with a safer route to school, thanks to a grant program of the same name.

Since 2010, the city has laid down more than 5,000 linear feet of sidewalks.

The work was funded through the "Safer Route to School" program.  It's designed to give kids a safer and healthier route to local schools.

The program provided federal grant money through the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT), but the grant only paid for 80% of the project.  The remaining 20% was funded with tax dollars.

"When I tookoffice, we had a lot of grants coming due. It took part of the tax increase todo that because wit a 80/20 match with the state, and we put that money asideand said, ‘Let's get it done,'" said La Vergne's mayor, Senna Mosley.

Chaney Boulevard is just one of the roadways now lined with sidewalks.  The pavement stretches from Old Nashville Highway to just before Sam Ridley Parkway, providing a clear path for students at La Vergne High School and Cedar Grove Elementary.

Mosely told Nashville's News 2 every school in La Vergne has benefited from the city's new sidewalks.

"I remember when Iworked at the school kids literally walking backwards so they would not get hitby the cars," said Mayor Senna Mosley. "This is huge for us.

The 2013-14 school year marks the first year the city has not had sidewalk construction underway on the first day of school.

While the initial "Safer Route to School" projects are completed, the city of La Vergne has a greenway project in the works.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.