Emergency responders were called to an area grocery store after they were alerted a young boy had been left unattended inside a vehicle by his grandfather Thursday.
The incident occurred at the Kroger store located on Murfreesboro Pike in Nashville.
Witness Spanky Groleau captured video of the young boy in the car, which was left running, with his cell phone and immediately called authorities.
"As I was leaving to get my lunch, I noticed a gentleman get out of the car and he had a three to five-year-old in the back seat," he explained.
Groleau continued, "The ambulance came [and] the fire department came. The fire department tried to rig his doors, [but] couldn't get it unlocked. The little boy was so scared he wouldn't let anyone into the car."
Emergency crews were eventually able to rescue the child from the vehicle.
"The fire department calmed him down. The little boy unlocked the door, and then the gentleman came out about 20 minutes later," Groleau said.
Upon his return, the child's grandfather was issued a citation by police.
Anyone who sees a child inside a vehicle unsupervised is urged to immediately call 911.
Experts say even with windows partially down, the temperature inside a parked car can reach 125 degree in just minutes.
Currently more than 20 children have died this year nationwide after being left in hot cars.