Toddler shows improvement after drinking liquid stain remover - WKRN News 2

Toddler shows improvement after drinking liquid stain remover

Posted:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

A two-year-old Greenbrier boy is continuing to recover after he consumed liquid stain remover on Saturday night.

The family told Nashville's News 2 Jaylen Myers may be able to return home from the hospital as early as Tuesday.

Jaylen's family spent Monday by his bedside at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.

"We hugged and kissed him and told him we loved him," grandmother Stacey Smyth said.

Smyth said around 7:30 p.m. on Saturday Jaylen consumed Resolve liquid laundry stain remover.

"I have locks on all my chemical bottles, which stay under the sink and somehow, something was just left out and he got a hold of it," said Smyth.

Jaylen was vomiting and became lethargic.

Mayor and Fire Chief of Greenbrier, Billy Wilson was the first emergency responder on the scene.

"His breathing was shallow, his respirations were low. We were all concerned about him at that point," said Wilson.

Officials rushed Jaylen to Northcrest Medical Center before he was airlifted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville.

Doctors said they are going to run a few more tests before his release from the hospital.

"I am just glad he is doing great. She said he is throwing a fit, Amen because a two year old should be throwing a fit," said Wilson.

"We are so ready for him. I have packed my house up. It's child proof and I am ready for him to come home," said Smyth.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 30 children die every year due to accidental poisonings.

Now friends and family are counting their blessings, Jaylen will survive.

Previous Story:

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.