2 dozen inmates sickened by carbon monoxide - WKRN News 2

2 dozen inmates sickened by carbon monoxide

Posted:
Press file photo/Tony Duncan Press file photo/Tony Duncan

JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. (AP) - Carbon monoxide has sickened more than two dozen inmates at an East Tennessee jail.

Washington County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Leighta Laitinen told the Johnson City Press one inmate lost consciousness during the incident Saturday morning and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Authorities said a malfunctioning gas-fired water heater leaked the gas into two pods of the jail in Jonesborough. When inmates began complaining of headaches, jailers took some of them to the booking area and others to an exercise yard.

The water heater was turned off and the pods were ventilated.

Laitenen said the sheriff's office staff will meet Monday to discuss why no detection system was installed and how much it would cost to get one.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.