A father faces charges after he left his two young children unattended inside a vehicle while he attended a job orientation on Monday morning in Nashville.
Police reported the children, ages two and three, were left in an unlocked SUV while their father, Tranquilino Camaja-Lajom, sat through a job orientation video from 8:45 a.m. to 9:25 a.m.
A woman walking in the area of 12th Avenue South and Laurel Street, which is where the SUV was parked, noticed the unsupervised children in the vehicle and notified police.
Authorities reported upon their arrival, the two children appeared sweaty and were in the backseat of the vehicle sitting in car seats.
Health officials warn the sun beating down on the car can heat things up to dangerous, even deadly levels.
"Even on a sunny day when it's 70-degrees, temperatures inside the car can rise very, very quickly so don't be fooled by the fact that it doesn't feel that hot outside it can still get very hot in the car," said Dr. Kimberlee Wyche-Etheridge with the Metro Health Department.
In these situations kids can get very sick very quickly.
"For children, because they are small, it's not a long time before they can get dehydrated, their temperature can go up, they can end up having seizures and can die," said Dr. Wyche-Etheridge.
The Department of Children's Services was notified of the incident.
The children were placed in their mother's custody.